About Quba Institute
For over 83 years, thanks to our predecessors and the devotion, generosity, support of friends and community members; today Masjid Quba strives to maintain a a standard of excellence. Masjid Quba is distinct from our neighboring Masajid in the city of Philadelphia and is among the more unique Masajid in the country.
By Allah's Grace and through continued support, we strive to address the spiritual and socio-economic needs of our community to actualize a community that is motivated to serve, informed on how to serve, and consequently beneficial to mankind.
In 1938, when Quba Institute was founded, America was quite a different place. The vision of the founders was to create an institution that would serve the religious and spiritual, needs of Muslims that lived in both urban and suburban spaces of Philadelphia. In order to promote and sustain healthy living, they believed that the first requirement was to become functionally educated in the basic religious sciences of Islam. They strove to overcome the challenges of lacking the basic resources needed to achieve their goals, books (including the Qur'aan), teachers and institutional framework to house their vision. However, through their humble efforts they were able to successfully establish their first official headquarters in 1942 . Thus began the 83 year journey of Quba Institute.
Imam Anwar Muhaimin, the first known American to complete the memorization of the Holy Qur'aan, and a graduate of the Islamic University of Medina, is the President of Quba, and the spiritual leader of Masjid Quba. Imams Anas Muhaimin and Quaiser Abdullah serve as Imams of Masjid Quba. Sr. Chavonne Byas is the current Principal of Quba Institute Day School.
Today Quba Institute is a thriving organization located in the historic Mill-Creek section of West Philadelphia. Our humble campus is comprised of three adjoining properties which house our Educational program as well as Masjid Quba.
Quba prides itself as being a diverse and multicultural community that strives to honor its 80+ year legacy by recommitting ourselves to the service of our students, seniors, neighbors and immediate community.